Say bye to bland and boring. Spices are an incredible way to add flavor and zest to any dish. Not to mention packed with a variety of health benefits. Below are some of my favorite spices that have been proven to increase satisfaction levels, curb cravings and speed up your metabolism:
- Garlic – Hello fat burning, metabolism boosting nutrition powerhouse. Garlic is great for balancing blood sugar levels (which will reduce your energy highs and lows). This is good because it will curb cravings for unhealthy foods. Garlic also builds up your immune system, lowers high blood pressure, and helps dissolve blood clots. Another added bonus? It is packed with a powerful antioxidant that has been proven to help fight off infectious diseases.
- Turmeric – Feeling a cold coming on? Turmeric is a natural antiseptic and great metabolism booster. Simply mix this spice with some almond milk and stevia for a late night treat to beat that cold before it starts. Turmeric has a bitter-peppery flavor that goes great with cooked vegetables and lean meats. Steamed cauliflower with a splash of olive oil and turmeric is delicious.
- Cinnamon – This saucy spice is great for stabilizing energy levels because it does not spike your blood sugar. Cinnamon also helps with stomach cramps and nausea. Get in the habit of throwing some in your AM coffee, on your whole-wheat toast or in your 3PM Greek yogurt snack. Get creative – there are no limits, splash some on your popcorn or even on a salmon entrée.
- Nutmeg – One of my favorite combinations is pumpkin and nutmeg for a delicious mid afternoon treat. You can buy organic canned pumpkin at your local market (it is the same price as normal canned pumpkin) mix it in with some nutmeg, stevia and if you are craving a creamier flavor add in some Greek yogurt. A cup full of delight! Try it before you judge. It is a fantastic healthy carbohydrate and nutrition packed powerhouse. Store nutmeg and canned pumpkin in your office kitchen whenever you are having a 3PM snack attack at work. Nutmeg also naturally soothes your stomach, lowers anxiety levels and detoxifies the body.
- Cayenne Pepper – Improves digestion, blood circulation and increases energy levels. This precious pepper creates heat in the digestive tract that helps your body store food more effectively, improving digestion and aiding in feelings of satisfaction. Cayenne pepper also contains high amounts of Vitamin C, Vitamin A and essential minerals.
For easy recipes swing by my library of Eat Yourself Gorgeous Video Tutorials
Remember, focus on progress, not perfection and have compassion for yourself