Life is too short for deprivation. You should be able to have your cake and eat it to. In this case, have your shake and drink it too. It is quite simple really. When you start eating better, you start feeling better. I put together the perfect energizing breakfast blend or 3PM pick me up to prevent hanger and overeating later on. I have used my favorite ingredients in the shake specifically to keep you more full for a longer amount of time, give you lasting energy without the crash and curb unhealthy cravings. Not to mention, reduce stress, increase feel good hormones AND get your skin glowing (you can check out my most recent television appearance for more smart snacking options in the video section of my site). Yes, it all sounds too good to be true. Try it and then let me know how you feel.
Carina’s Dark Chocolate Mint Shamrock Shake:
- 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cacoa powder (Trader Joe’s brand is great) or 1 tablespoon of dark chocolate chips (I love Lily’s).
- 1 cup of plain non-fat Greek yogurt (I love Chobani) OR a frozen banana (if you are dairy free)
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ¼ tablespoon of mint extract
- 4 tablespoons of stevia
- ¼ cup of sliced avocado
- 1 cup of ice
Blend together and enjoy. Everyone is different. If you like a sweeter flavor then go for the frozen banana instead of the Greek yogurt. If the cacoa powder is too strong for you then try dark chocolate chips. Make sure the cacoa powder is non-processed to get the best health benefits. (More information and dark chocolate health tools can be found in my piece here.) Get creative and find a healthy formula that is realistic, tastes good and works for you.
Quick tip: if you are on the run or at work (because that is life) simply do a little planning in advance. Blend together the night before and put your shake in a container for the next morning. It will take ten minutes tops. Just like any muscle, the more you practice planning the easier it gets.
My tips on how to be healthy at your desk were recently featured in The Huffington Post, you can find them here.
A bit of nutrition while you drink because I just cannot resist:
- INDULGE & GO DARK! Dark Chocolate triggers the release of “feel good” hormones in your brain. The same “feel good” hormones that get released after you do physical activity or when you are falling in love. For more health benefits of dark chocolate and two of my easy “no brainer” recipes check out my piece here or my Creamy Dark Chocolate Ice Cream video tutorial. If you are a fan of mud muffins you can check out my healthy dark chocolate mud muffin recipe featured in Entrepreneur Magazine.
- Greek Yogurt has double the amount of protein than normal yogurt, healthy bacteria for digestion as well as immunity and calcium for bone health. Check out my energizing ranch dip video here using Greek Yogurt or my Stress Reducing Avocado Pasta video here.
- AMAZING AVOCADO (I am a huge fan of healthy fats)! Avocados are packed with heart healthy monounsaturated fats. These fats have been proven to reduce stress as well as increase post-meal satisfaction levels. Moreover, avocados contain plant protein to keep you more full for a longer amount of time, give you lasting energy and curb unhealthy cravings. Avocados also contain Vitamin-E. Vitamin-E fights off damaging free radicals that contribute to aging. Vitamin-E also gives your skin an overall smoother tone, which will help reduce fine lines and those pesky crows feet around your eyes. Need some skin clearing snacks? Check out my Satisfying Beauty Bites here, or Skin Clearing French Fry Video Tutorial here.
If you need simple steps to change habits, check out my piece here
As always, focus on progress, not perfection and DO YOU.
Focus on your goals, instead of comparing yourself to others because that is all that matters.
*A cause that is very dear to my heart is the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. I have formed a team in honor of my grandmother, Dr. Lailee Bakhtiar, who passed away after a 21 year battle with the disease. You can learn more about my team here.